Chronic loud snoring can damage your relationship with your spouse or significant other. It can also do far worse things to your health if it’s caused by sleep apnea. In Lexington, we can improve the quality of your rest and your relationship with loved ones with a custom mouthguard.
A sleep apnea mouthguard will:
- Keep your airway open while you sleep, so you can breathe easily all night
- Lower your risk of high blood pressure, stroke, and other health problems associated with apnea
- Fit comfortably in your mouth, without the need for a face mask
- Be less disruptive for you and your bed partner than a CPAP machine
- Help you feel well rested and more alert during the day
A Sleep Apnea Mouthguard Offers a Comfortable CPAP Alternative
Obstructive sleep apnea is caused when soft tissue, often your tongue, blocks your airway while you’re sleeping. You briefly awaken so you can breathe – as many as hundreds of times a night for some sleep apnea sufferers. Two common sleep apnea treatments are:
- A CPAP Machine – The machine keeps your airway clear with a supply of pressurized air, which you typically breathe in through a face mask.
- A Mouthguard – We’ll fit you for a custom-made mouthguard that eases your jaw forward into a position that keeps your airway open. It resembles an athletic mouthguard, so you can easily take it with you wherever you go. Unlike a CPAP, it needs no electricity or batteries.
To relieve sleep apnea symptoms, it’s important to consistently use your prescribed treatment. Many patients find a mouthguard more comfortable to wear and less distracting to use than a CPAP. Our dentists are happy to prescribe a sleep test for you. If the test results in a formal sleep apnea diagnosis, insurance may cover at least some of your treatment cost.
If you think you may have sleep apnea in Lexington, call 859-577-9526. Symptoms include snoring, daytime fatigue, and frequent headaches.